The South African Association of Freight Forwarders (SAAFF) has announced details of the programme line-up for its virtual Summit, taking place on 16 and 17 September. With over 40 speakers and panelists from six countries (Brazil, Hong Kong, Kenya, Singapore, South Africa and Zambia), delegates can look forward to compelling content, insights from global industry experts, valuable networking opportunities – and lots more!
The SAAFF Summit is the most comprehensive and influential online business platform for the freight forwarding, logistics and supply chain sectors in Southern Africa. It will bring together over 300 decision-makers, experts and industry leaders.
“The freight forwarding and supply chain industries have been through a series of intense disruptions and challenges over the past year,” says SAAFF’s Chief Executive Officer Dave Logan. “The SAAFF Summit provides a valuable opportunity for the industry to re-connect, gain new perspectives and learn lessons from recent challenges”.
Reality redefined for smart borders: strategy, design & implementation
The SMART borders concept encourages members of the World Customs Organisation (WCO) to use technology to find solutions to facilitate the flow of people, goods and conveyances at borders, while following the guiding principles for SMART borders: Secure, Measurable, Automated, Risk Management-based and Technology-driven.
The panel comprises:
- Lucky Molefe – Executive, Cross-Border Co-ordination: SARS
- John Mein – Executive Coordinator of the Alliance for Modernisation of Logistics and Foreign Trade (PROCOMEX)
- Hong Nguyen – Technical Officer, Facilitation and Compliance Directorate: The World Customs Organisation
- Letchmee Naidoo – Customs and Trade Facilitation Expert, Master Customs Practitioner (SAIT)
Talking ethical leadership at the SAAFF Summit – Prof Jonathan Jansen
Prof Jonathan Jansen is a respected South African academic leader. The outspoken ex-Vice Chancellor of the University of the Orange Free State, is a well-known figure on the South African education, current affairs and political landscapes. Jansen will be sharing his views and insights on ethical leadership with Summit attendees.
Complexities around the Covid-19 vaccine delivery rollout
The Covid-19 vaccine delivery roll-out is the biggest supply chain challenge the world has ever seen. Vaccines are a key element in stopping the spread of Covid-19. This SAAFF Summit panel discussion will share what is actually happening behind the scenes that and the lessons learned.
Chaired by Dr Maria du Preez, Business Development Director at Bidvest International Logistics and Chair of SAAF’s Gauteng Chapter, the panel line-up includes:
- Dr Stavros Nicolau – Head, Health Working Group: B4SA
- Cas Coovadia – CEO: BUSA
- Lizeth Kruger – National Clinic Manager: Dis-Chem and
- Dr Ronald Whelan – Chief Commercial Officer: Discovery Health
Other Programme highlights include:
- The Mass Lootings and Prospects for Political Realignments in Ramaphosa’s Cabinet by Dr Ralph Mathekga – Political Analyst, Researcher and Author of Ramaphosa’s Turn.
- The Africa Continental Free Trade Agreement – Challenges and Opportunities for Global Value Chains: Regional and International Perspectives – Customs Compliance and Improved Trade Facilitation: Best Practices. A panel discussion including Trudi Hartzenberg – Executive Director: tralac – Trade Law Centre NPC; and, Catherine Grant Makokera- Director: Tutwa Consulting
- The Changing Aviation Centre of Gravity – a Look at the Next Ten Years by Dr Alex Stancu, PhD – Head of Account Management: South & East Africa at the International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- Navigating the world’s uncertainties – the Upside of Down by Bruce Whitfield – Radio, TV and print journalist and speaker
To stay up to date on the latest, trends, innovations, people news and company updates within the global trade and logistics market please register to receive our newsletter here.
Rebecca Morpeth Spayne,
Editor, International Trade Magazine
Tel: +44 (0) 1622 823 922